- You experience a slow down in web browsing when using the Sophos UTM as a Web proxy.
- Sometime you see the high latency, slow web browsing when enable Web filtering in Sophos UTM.
- Update to newest version of Sophos UTM (current is 9.3xx)
- Download the Content Filtering Database to local Memory (RAM). This method is not Sophos official
- Faster URL checking by category
- Reduce bandwidth usage
- Reduce connection to Internet from the devices
- Higher web filter performance
- That’s not official, you do it with your risk.
- Revert to default setting: cc set http sc_local_db none
- When you disable/enable the web proxy, database will download again.
- If you set local database in “disk”, the CPU 100% maybe occur because of the high HDD reading.
- The UTM recommends more than 4GB or 8GB Memory
- The local content filtering database is stored in HDD, cached in RAM
How to do
1. Enable Shell Access
Management > System Settings > Shell Access > Set password for loginuser and root.
Allow network: Your local LAN > Click Apply
2. SSH to the UTM
Using Putty software to SSH to the UTM
Login as: loginuser
Type “su” to go to root mode
3. Verify DB settings
cc get http sc_local_db
4. Set the database as local
cc set http sc_local_db mem
5. Reload the HTTPPROXY service
6. Verify first DB download
Web surfing will be stopped until done – about 380-400 MB
ls -lh /var/chroot-http/var/pattern/sfcontrol
7. Verify DB in Memory
8. Command options:
cc set http sc_local_db [none,disk,mem]
none – default, don’t use local categorization at all use online query as default.
disk – use local Database, but use it only on disk. Useful for boxes with little RAM.
mem – use local Database, and keep it in memory for faster access.