- Bitlocker is a great encryption tool integrated into Windows 10. But it’s not for everyone, because only Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have access to this tool. Windows 10 Home users will need to find an alternative solution.
- There are many alternatives to Bitlocker. Many of these options are more powerful than Microsoft’s Bitlocker. Today, the article will synthesize some popular third-party encryption software to replace Bitlocker.
- If you’re a home user and looking for a free and easy-to-use encryption software for Windows 10, open source VeraCrypt is the first great tool you should consider. You get enterprise-level encryption, which basically allows you to create encrypted passwords for all the drives and partitions you have.
- You can mount and create virtual encrypted drives, as well as encrypt the operating system partition for maximum security. There are a lot of choices about the types of encryption algorithms you can use, including popular AES, as well as less known but still powerful algorithms like Twofish and Camellia.
- For hash algorithms, the options you can use are SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160.
- Download VeraCrypt.
2. Windows Device Encryption
- Whether you use Windows 10 Home does not mean you are “discriminated against” when it comes to encryption. Some Windows 10 Home PCs have device encryption, but the PC will need to activate both TPM and UEFI, as well as support the connected standby mode.
- If you are not sure whether your PC has these features, the easiest thing is to just check directly if you are able to encrypt the device.
- To do this, in Windows 10, go to Settings> Update & Security. If you have device encryption, you’ll see that option appears in the left pane of the window. Just select it, then click the Turn on button to encrypt the device.
3. Jetico BestCrypt Volume Encryption
- For a more in-depth commercial option, Jetico actually covers all aspects when it comes to Windows data encryption. It uses TPM chips for maximum security and provides all popular 256-bit algorithms such as AES, Serpent and Twofish.
- BestCrypt has an elegant user interface, which allows you to see all encrypted states that are mounted, partitioned and drive from one screen and even supports systems like Windows XP Service Pack 3.
- You can encrypt all types of volumes including RAID, can control everything from a single login password (with two-factor authentication) and also enable pre-boot authentication. This is a powerful package for $ 120 (VND 2,760,000).
- Download the trial version of Jetico BestCrypt Volume Encryption.
4. Sophos Safeguard
- One of the most notable features of Sophos Safeguard is that it not only has proprietary encryption methods but also stores Bitlocker and File Vault (Mac encryption tool) in its own interface.
- It uses HTTPS to allow external users to connect to the server. SafeGuard Key Ring allows people with access to the server to see what files they can open, and you can also set up key groups to assign certain groups of people to have access to one certain documents. Strict threat detection means that all encryption keys are deleted from the key ring until the threat is processed.
- The login interface when the PC boots is not very elegant and if you don’t run it on the SSDm, you may find it a bit slow. In general, this is a very powerful option that covers the entire hard drive and its partitions.
- Download Sophos SafeGuard.